Monday, January 19, 2009

Meet Skotch Davis

We said it earlier this week, and low and behold we have reached victory. We sat down & got a few words from The Original Skotch Davis himself...let's get started..

B.C: Skotch Davis got next, I hear. What separates you from the rest of these brothas out here with mic dreams?

S.D: Ummm.. I'm not so different. I'm just me. That's different enough. We all bleed, breath air and eat. So I think the only difference really is the path I took to become the man I am today. Which was the road less traveled. Most artists have aspirations of getting a major deal and attaining the fortune and fame. More than that, I want the respect of my peers

B.C: We get that you are proudly from the East coast. Is your main objective to "put on for your city" for lack of better phrasing?

S.D: Ha. I love my city. New York to be exact. Manhattan to be specific. Harlem to be the birth. That aside, I want to "put on" for anyone that's trying to "get on" like me. Through respect, perseverance & love for your dreams.  So you can be from 129th street or Istanbul! If your trying to be a positive ripple in the ocean.. We coasting

B.C: Well, let's be clear that we fully support your pursuit of being a positive ripple in the ocean. You've cultivated quite a westcoast fam over here? What do you think about the los angeles hip hop scene?

S.D: It's extremely active!!! Which is very needed given the current state of hip-hop. I think that people forget what hip-hop is. To me hip-hop is popular music with a message. Whatever that message may be, hip-hop is suppose to evoke all the thoughts that may come with conveying that message. It seems to be a lot of self glorification going on in music and it feels good to be in the vibe of good music with some kind of message.

B.C: Extremely active? Couldn't have put it better myself. L.A. is not only my home but my heart, is it difficult to maintain a following out here considering you have such a supportive following back in NY?

S.D: No. Because there is a genuine appreciation for music that isn't very apparent anywhere else. Which works in a artist like myself favor. That's what I thrive off of. Authenticity! So its easy to find a niche out here in my opinion.

B.C: Very true, people are thirsty for the unfamiliar, I guess that can work for you or against you depending on the individuality of the artist. I don't see that being a problem for you, are your shows always so high energy?

S.D: ALWAYS!!! What's the point of being any other way. It may be the first and last chance you get to make a fan. So leave it on the stage!! Look, people can rewind movies, a dvd or even dvr on your cable. You can't bring back that live moment or that chill from seeing a person give it their all.

B.C: Trust me I fall victim first hand lol. I would say welcome to L.A Skotch Davis, but you've been here & clearly know the ropes...I can say that we are clearly glad to have you...now talk your shit, is there anything you'd like to say in closing?

S.D: Watch... Look.. Listen... Love!!! Shouts to the LAX PAPER BOYS..MOM ENT...LA BELLA AND ALL THINGS OFFICIAL

B.C: Well let it be known, in case it wasn't, that..L.A. Bella loves you Skotch...& I guess we'll be seeing you on the stage  the 23rd of this month..Damn, I'm taking your spot...you wanna be the one to plug your show one time? If you don't, I will lol.

S.D: I'll let you do the damn thing

B.C:  Well for the trillionth time fellas & chicks, if you're in the L.A. area or are going to be in the L.A. area make sure you stop by the Dakota Lounge on the 23rd where LAX Paperboys will presenting to us The Inauguration of Cool with performances form  Skotch Davis & Dom Kennedy. We're not worthy boys, but let's goooo!! Thanks for the stop by Skotch. We're now all prepared to watch, look, listen & love, but you're late we already love you sir.

S.D: Love you too.

Till next time xoxo B.C. of L.A. Bella